July 29, 2018
- I have not posted a blog entry in awhile now because I have enjoyed being close to home. I was able to go home last weekend and be with the people who matter most in life. It was this short time together that was like recharging the battery and starting fresh again. It was reassuring to see that things were under control and that there were no dire emergencies but also that I still could contribute in small ways like fixing the garage door opener.
Even though this part of the country is home, it is very interesting to view it through the eyes of others, particularly those from other parts of the world. We have cyclists from England, Scotland, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Norway and Canada. For many, it is their first time seeing the Midwest. From my perspective the entire time since Pierre, they have been able to see it at it’s best. The weather has been fantastic, the farms and crops are doing very well and the towns we pass through are all looking prosperous with “Now Hiring” signs everywhere. It seems there is a universal shortage of workers which could be limiting the ability of businesses to expand.
We took the ferry across Lake Michigan yesterday so we will see if this area, which had suffered greatly during the last recession, has made progress toward a full recovery yet or if more time is needed here. The town of Ludington certainly looks like it is doing well at least.
We are losing several of our veteran riders this week. Some left before we crossed the lake to take a different route to the coast. Others were leaving to go back to school or just had limited time and were done. The group size will shrink by 12 so it will create a different dynamic. Once again, this rest day comes at a good time. My posterior can use a break. I will do some bike maintenance and have already gotten the laundry done. Those of us who are riding all the way are feeling like we are out of the loop as far as current events and news so we are talking about seeing some movie this afternoon. We will see what develops. I think that very soon I will have to put down some thoughts about the value of routine and habits. I am struggling right now with trying to make a low carb diet part of a lifestyle and not just a passing fad.



No comments:
Post a Comment