July 7, 2018
Each week is like a new chapter in the book of this journey. Last week ended with the exhilarating descent from Teton Pass into Jackson, WY. The rest day was much needed and spent doing laundry, visiting the local bike shop and doing bike maintenance. I must admit that the third week had been causing me some anxiety for months before the trip. On paper, it was by far the largest challenge we were to face. This was a motivating force for all the preparation and training leading up to the ride. Doubt and fear of the unknown can linger subconsciously in the back of your mind, affecting how you interact with others and even interfering with your enjoyment of each present moment.
Looking back, it was not the obvious challenges that were the biggest difficulties. These we knew about ahead of time and could prepare for. It was the unanticipated things like 99 degree heat and strong headwinds that really can throw things off. We witnessed what could have easily been a fatal motorcycle accident yet the rider miraculously stayed upright and was able to continue on his journey. It reminded me that even though I get ideas and I like to make plans, I am not in charge. I just get to ride the bike. Some ride faster and some ride slower but each one of us gets to decide how much enjoyment we derive from each passing mile.
Anyway, we made it through the toughest week, we are resting very close to Devils Tower, WY. Next week we head into the Black Hills. I intend to take a little detour during the ride and enjoy the George Michelson bike trail out of Lead and then rejoin the group. It is rated one of the best trails in the US but is not paved. Hope my tires are up to it.

Each week is like a new chapter in the book of this journey. Last week ended with the exhilarating descent from Teton Pass into Jackson, WY. The rest day was much needed and spent doing laundry, visiting the local bike shop and doing bike maintenance. I must admit that the third week had been causing me some anxiety for months before the trip. On paper, it was by far the largest challenge we were to face. This was a motivating force for all the preparation and training leading up to the ride. Doubt and fear of the unknown can linger subconsciously in the back of your mind, affecting how you interact with others and even interfering with your enjoyment of each present moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment